Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Poem Response #3



I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.
Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed—
I, too, am America.
The first sentence of this poem, immediately tells you that this poem somehow relates to America. I think in the first sentence he trying to say, that he too is included the population of America, like just don’t count him out of the whole idea of a perfect union. In the next stanza, he talks about how he is one of the many black people. “They send me to eat in the kitchen, when the company comes…” This means that the blacks were just pushed aside, beaten, and hurt for the happiness of the whites, and were unable to do anything about it. “But I laugh, and eat well, and grow strong” This sentence means that despite all the poor treatment, the blacks had still struggled through, and all it did was make them stronger. In this sentence “ Tomorrow, ill be at the table, when company comes, nobody’ll dare, say to me, eat in the kitchen then.” The author is trying to say that eventually, the blacks will be seen for who they really are, equal. That they are as strong as the whites. “Besides, they’ll see how beautiful I am, and be ashamed” This means that they will realise that the blacks aren't as bad as they thought they were, that they are equal, and that in the long run, the whites will realise that they screwed up, and we'll be ashamed of what they did. In they last sentence, he finally concludes that he too is part of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment